Friday, July 26, 2013

Mystery of the Mundane (part 2)

God never promised to answer every question or be an easy access rabbits foot. What he has promised is that He would never leave or forsake us. That he would be present with us at every moment, in all our joy and sorrow.
What if we were to live lives conscious of God's presence at all times in every situation? Think how this could transform everything - every thought, every action, every encounter?
Buddhists refer to this as mindfulness, being present in each moment, each breath. For followers of Christ this is known as practicing the presence God.
A 17th century Carmelite monk, Brother Lawrence considered "the practice of the presence of God' to be at the center of authentic Christian spirituality. He learned the discipline of being constantly aware of Gods presence especially in the ordinary and mundane during his forty years of doing dishes and daily tasks for his monastic community.
He wrote, "There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful, than that of a continual conversation with God. Those only can comprehend it who practice and experience it."

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. [Psalm 139:7-12]
Embracing the ordinary and cultivating the practice of becoming aware of Gods presence in each mundane moment could also be understood as learning to walk in the Spirit.

picture bc

living water reprint from 2009

No comments: