Thursday, October 29, 2009

Liturgy of Remembrance


(We originally compiled this liturgy when requested by a friend to commemorate her mothers passing. It developed from there. It has become an oppurtunity for our community to remember and celibrate our friends and family who have passed through the veil. We have used this liturgy on Nov. 1 All Saints Day but not exclusively. It has been a useful tool at various times with small groups and larger gatherings. )

Silence and reflection as we gather


Invocation


+


You who spoke the universe into being, whose eye is on the sparrow
Come among us Blessed Three in One, meet us here

You who is present in the poor and the broken, who comforts the mournful and stands by the forsaken
Come among us Sacred Three in One, meet us here

You who dances in silence and shines in darkness
Come among us Blessed Three in One, meet us here


Light Candles of Rememberance *


Comfort from the Scripture (can be read by a single vioce or rotated)

Psalm 139:7-10
7 Where can i go from your Spirit ?
Or where can I go to flee your presence
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bead in Sheol, behold, You are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the most remote part of the sea,
10 Even there your hand will lead me.
And your right hand will lay hold of me


John 14:1-3
1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.
3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take
you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

1 Thes. 4:13-15
13 But we would not have you ignorant, brethren, concerning them that fall asleep; that ye sorrow not, even as the rest, who have no hope.
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also that are fallen asleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we that are alive, that are left unto the coming of the Lord, shall in no wise precede them that are fallen asleep.



Revelation 21:3-4
3 And I heard a great voice out of the throne saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he shall dwell with them, and they shall be his peoples, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God:
4 and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more: the first things are passed away.


Hymn

Present offerings of rememberance ^

Sing or Read

God in my birthing
God in my living
God in my choosing
God in my dying

God in my slumber
God in my dreaming
God in my waking
God in my thinking

God in my eyes
God in my ears
God in my lips
God in my hands

God in my nights
God in my days
God in my working
God in my play

God in my watching
God in my hoping
God in my head
God in my heart

God to enfold me
God to surround me
God in my ever living soul

( adapted from a Galic Prayer)

Proclamation of Hope

1 Cor 15: 51-57
51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53For this corruptible must put on in-corruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54So when this corruptible shall have put on in corruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, inasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.



Canticle

All our tears and all our laughter
Safe in the hands of God

All our grief and all our joy
Safe in the heart of God

All our stories and all our memories
Safe in the mind of God

Those we remember and those we love
Safe in the Grip of God


Benediction

God, Father of all, father us

Christ, Redeemer of all, redeem us

Spirit, Comforter of all, comfort us

Bless us on our journey through this life and lead us saftley home
tobe joined with you and those we love.

In the name of the Father
The son the Holy Spirit
The Blessed Three in One.
Amen

+


------------**+**-----------+ may perform sign of the cross

Italics are repeated together


* people can bring candles or they can be there.


^ place pictures, memorabilia. Stories, memories and reflection can be shared or pics etc. can be placed in silence. This largely depends on time and size of gathering.



Originally posted 10/29/08



stock photo

No comments: