Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Examples of Caim Prayers from the Carmina Cadelica

There are many fine examples of this type of prayer found in the Carmina Gadelica: The Carmina Gadelica is a collection of prayers, hymns, blessings, and literary-folkloric poems and songs collected and translated by amateur folklorist Alexander Carmichael in the Gaelic-speaking regions of Scotland between 1855 and 1910.

The compassing of God and his right hand
Be upon my form and upon my frame;
The compassing of the High King and the grace of the Trinity
Be upon me abiding eternally,
Be upon me abiding eternally.


May the compassing of the Three shield me in my means,
The compassing of the Three shield me this day,
The compassing of the Three shield me this night
From hate, from harm, from act, from ill,
From hate, from harm, from act, from ill.

Blessing Of The Three, The Sacred Three My fortress be Encircling me,Come and be round My hearth, my home.Fend Thou my kin And every sleeping thing within From scathe, from sin. Thy care our peace Through mid of night To light's release.

My Fortress The Sacred Three My fortress be Encircling me Come and be round My hearth and my home. Celtic prayer


1 comment:

Edward Ott said...

this is a very interesting blog. i have learned a lot about celtic christian traditions.